We all face some ups and downs in our lives on a daily basis. Every human has a different level of tolerance for everything. We all strive to do better every day and face a million challenges. We would like to share some tips on how to deal with depression!
- Initially, setting oneself a healthy routine is very important in order to get rid of the unhealthy negative thoughts or emotions!
“Early to bed and to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.”
We should wake up early, drink something healthy (eg. – warm water + lemon + honey) in order to intoxicate our body.
- Physical health is an outer shell to our mental health. We should workout, exercise, practice yoga or maybe go for a run to strengthen our physical health reinforcing your mental health!
- “Meditation is practiced not to stop the thoughts but to become comfortable with them!”
A 5 to 10 minutes session of mindfulness gives your mental health a kick start in the morning.
- Keep yourself as productive as possible! Being productive includes doing the chores, working out, pursuing a hobby, cooking food, working on your projects, studying, and also SLEEPING!
- Giving your body the rest it needs is really important! Calming down your body or doing the Shavasana pose helps the fluids in your body to fluctuate with ease.
- Engage your brain when it feels low in some of the other activities!
- Communication is the key! Talking to your close ones about your feelings helps your mental health. Whenever you feel low, down, insecure or any negative emotions speaking to someone about it helps you rationalize your thoughts and hence calming you down.
- If you do not feel comfortable in sharing thoughts you can always pen it down on a piece of paper! And if necessary you can flush it down the toilet or burn it if you are angry.
- A very famous breathing technique (the 4-7-8) can be performed when the anxiety kicks in. All you need to do is sit down and breathe in till the count of 4. Keep the breath in till the count of 7 and blow it out at the count of 8! Repeat this for at least 10 times to calm down your anxiety attack.
- Do not make the wrong decisions hastily! One after having sad and negative emotions tends to make some wrong decisions like cutting communication with people, quitting a job, quitting studies, self-harming in anyways, etc.
- If in rage and interested in harming oneself I suggest you to take a pen/pencil and scribble on the pages, tear the pages or punch a pillow!
- Calming oneself down and talking to someone or oneself about his / her decisions.
Concluding, I would say that one should be able to differentiate between the feeling of sadness and depression. These two are vaguely different concepts! Depression consists of a feeling of unhealthy negative emotions for a prolonged period of time whereas sadness or grief is short terms. If one is facing depression he/she / they should immediately consult professional (psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist, etc).